Course Coordinator: Associate Professor Ajai VYAS (email: AVYAS@ntu.edu.sg )
Academic Unit: 3 AU
Availability: Semester 2
Course Type: BS-Major-PE, BMS-Major-PE
Language of instruction: English
Teaching hours: Lectures: 7 hours; Tutorials: 32 hours
Learning Objective: To introduce biological analysis of behaviors, especially behaviors that are important to humans.
Content: This course will cover the interface between ethology, neurobiology and endocrinology (study of behavior, brain and hormones). Following topics will NOT be discussed: race, religion, language and sexual orientation.
Learning Outcome: Student successfully completing this course will be able to:
- Clearly explain biological mediators of behavior;
- Analyze evolutionary pressures on the behavior;
- Underline inter-connectedness between biology, behavior and society;
- Conduct a balanced argument about genetic and environmental influences on the behavior;
- Apply biological analysis to the real-life behaviors.
- Biological foundations of behavior
- Biological psychology
- Class notes
- Primary Literature
*Prerequisites for Incoming Exchange Students: Equivalent of Year 2 or Higher Biology or Biotechnology Major