Course Coordinator: Professor YOON Ho Sup (email: HSYoon@ntu.edu.sg )
Academic Unit: 3 AU
Availability: Semester 1
Course Type: BS-Core, BMS-Core, PE-STS, UE
Language of instruction: English
Teaching hours: Lectures: 22 hours; Tutorials: 10 hours
Learning Objective: To learn biochemical principles governing the properties and structures of biological macromolecules.
Content: This course covers.
- The fundamental building blocks of biological macromolecules and their structures and chemical properties.
- The primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary structures of biological macromolecules.
- The basic methods and principles to study biological macromolecules.
Learning Outcome: At the conclusion of this course, students will be able to establish a firm foundation on the structures, biophysical and chemical principles of key biological macromolecules found in living organisms and better comprehend the underlying molecular basis and functions of the macromolecules involved in various biochemical reactions.
- Nelson / Cox, Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry, 5th Edition, Freeman, 2008.
- Mathews / Van Holde / Ahern, Biochemistry, 3rd Edition, Addison Wesley Longman, 2000.
*Prerequisites for Incoming Exchange Students: Equivalent of A-Level Chemistry and science or engineering major