BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES WITH SECOND MAJOR IN BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS
• First in Singapore to offer this interdisciplinary programme, providing a comprehensive background in the biological science and engineering of biomedical materials for regenerative medicine, tissue engineering, drug delivery, among others.
• Conducted in partnership with School of Materials Science and Engineering, NTU
ABOUT THE COURSE
Biomaterials science is a rapidly growing field. Biomedical materials have an enormous impact on healthcare throughout the world, and they will continue to be important in advancing patient care and in the medical industry. With the emergence of tissue engineering and regenerative medicine, it also means increasing opportunities for young scientists to work on new clinical treatments for injury and diseases. Students of this interdisciplinary programme will undergo training in biological sciences and biomedical materials areas such as Immunology, Physiology, Advanced Biomaterials and Nanomaterials.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
On top of the Biological Sciences course requirements, students will be required to learn:
• Materials Chemistry II
• Materials Science
• Thermodynamics of Materials
• Phase Transformation and Kinetics
• Metallic & Ceramic Materials
• Nanomaterials: Fundamentals and Application
• Advanced Biomaterials
Select 3 of these electives:
• Materials Physics
• Polymer and Composites
• Mechanical Behaviour of Materials
• Analysis of Materials
• Biomedical Devices
• Drug Delivery and Tissue Engineering
Equipped with the knowledge and skills set in programme, graduates can look forward to a Research and Development career in emerging areas such as regenerative medicine and tissue engineering, as well as in pharmaceutical industries.