- PhD - Zhejiang University 2003
- MS - Zhejiang University 1997
- BS - Zhejiang University 1994
- Research Fellow, Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK
- Senior Researcher, Faculty of Advanced Life Sciences, Hokkaido University, Japan
- COE Fellow, Graduate School of Science, Hokkaido University, Japan
- Lecturer in College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, China
- PhD in Biochemical engineering, Zhejiang Univeristy, China
I am interested in the field of DNA/RNA-protein interactions, particularly in the structural and functional research of translation initiation control and protein synthesis by ribosome. For the first time, I recently discovered a new crystal form from ribosome lacking the subunit L9, that allows crystallization of the ribosome in the presence of GTPase factors. Based on this, the crystal structures of the 70S ribosome with elongation factor G (EF-G) trapped by fusidic acid in the post-translocational state, and with elongation factor Tu (EF-Tu) and aminoacyl-tRNA were solved, respectively. Both structures reveal many significant aspects of ribosome functions at atomic level with regard to elongation, the heart of translation. Meanwhile, I solved crystal structures of E. coli RelE (a toxin related to riboendonucleases) bound to 70S ribosomes in the precleavage and postcleavage states, which provides a clear basis for understanding the mechanism of ribosome-dependent endonucleases (mRNA shutdown). I want to pursue further research on the structure & function of ribosome at varied states, and structure-based antibiotics design targeting at ribosome.
Meanwhile, the structural and functional protein complex associated with disease and industrial application, e.g. bacterial cellulose synthesizing complex, will be another subject.